Google AdSense is an advertising network run by Google that allows bloggers and website owners an opportunity to earn money by showing text, image, video, and other interactive advertisement on their websites. These ads are targeted by site content and audience.
Google AdSense is hassle free because you don’t have to deal with advertisers or worry about collecting money. Google administers and maintain relationships with the advertisers. They collect the payment, take their management fee, and send the rest of the money to you.
AdSense offers cost-per-click ads (CPC) which means that you earn money every time a user clicks on the ad on your website. The amount received per click varies based on a variety of factors.
Signing Up for Google AdSense
- First thing you need to do is to sign up for a Google account (Gmail), an existing Gmail is also welcome
- Then, open your web browser, go to http://www.google.com/adsense/start/
- Click Sign Up Now
- Fill in your details (Website name, email, password etc.)
- Click on Save and Continue
Once you’ve submitted your application, you will receive an email within 6 – 8 hours telling you whether you have passed the first step of the review process. If you passed the first check, then you can log in to your AdSense account and get your ad code.
- Start by clicking on the My ads tab and then click on the New ad unit button.
- This will bring you to a create new ad screen, and you will be asked to provide a name for this ad unit and select the ad size, type, style, colors, an ad type. You can select from ‘text and display ads’, ‘In-feed ads’, and ‘In-article ads’. If you are unsure, then start with the text and display ads.
The name of the Ad is only used for internal purposes, so you can name it anything like “wpblvd ads”.
- Once you’re done with this setup, simply click on Save and get code button. You will be prompted with a message “Ad successfully created”, and you will also see the Ad code.
- Copy your ad code and paste it in a plain text editor like Notepad or TextEdit because you will need the code when adding AdSense to your WordPress.
Adding Google AdSense in WordPress
You need to determine where you want to show the ad on your website. Ads are most commonly displayed in the sidebar.
You can add Google AdSense in your sidebar by using WordPress widgets.
- Simply go to Appearance, click on Widget page in your WordPress admin area.
- Next, drag & drop the ‘Custom HTML’ widget to the appropriate widget area.
- Then, paste your Google AdSense code in there and Click on Save button.
You can also add Google AdSense in your existing Post
You can do this by;
- Go to Post, Click on All Post, Select the post you want to editing.
- Click on Text
- Paste your AdSense code where you want the ads to show. For better placement control and tracking, I recommend that you check out AdSanity WordPress plugin.
- Then, Click on Update.
You have successfully added Google AdSense to your WordPress Website.